A early access game has taken the steam community by the balls. The game; The Darkest Dungeon. This is not your average Dungeon crawling RPG, with food, light and stress management you know these creators were not messing around. The game was funded through kickstarter with a goal of $75,000 but ultimately being funded up to $313,337! The game currently has 13 playable heroes that you can build to crawl through a dungeon with a party of 4.
Features (as listed on the kickstarter page)
- The Affliction System – heroes’ personalities are paramount! Contend with paranoia, abusiveness, fear, irrationality, and a host of gameplay-meaningful quirks
- Striking hand-drawn gothic crowquill art style
- Innovative turn-based combat pits you against a host of diabolical monsters
- Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
- A distinctive game world featuring over a dozen unique playable character classes such as the Plague Doctor, the Highwayman, and even the Leper!
- Town meta-game – tend to your heroes wounds, both corporeal and cerebral
- Loot! Gold, jewels, heirlooms, and mystical trinkets. Not to mention upgradable armor, weapons, and consumable supplies.
- Things That Once Seen Can Never Be Unseen…
If you watched any Let’s Plays on the Youtube you know a lot of Youtubers are raving (or crying out in frustration) about this game. I myself am having lots of fun, although one thing I should say is don’t get too attached to any characters, The Darkest Dungeon has Perma-Death which means when a character dies you can’t bring them back. No Revives, No Phoenix Downs, no nothings. They are Bye-Bye gone forever.
Even though The Darkest Dungeon is one of the funnest games I’ve played in a while it still is early access and is far from perfect. I’ve found myself a bit frustrated with the stress management and unless you are camping, for me, it is extremely hard to manage it and can (if you are really unlucky) have your entire party stressed out within 10 mins. Now this game is hard and incredibly frustrating, however I recommend it whole-heartedly to any game lover.
Have you played The Darkest Dungeon? If so what do you dislike or like about it?
Watch my very first The Darkest Dungeon Let’s Play and tell me what you think!